Success is about harnessing your determination and proceeding forward with an intense focus. Some people believe that we were either born with or without determination and the lucky ones are just born with more determination than others. However, successful people will tell you that determination is not genetically predetermined, it simply means that some people can harness this ability and use it more efficiently than others.
Here’s how you can stay focused and meet your goals.
- The Night Before – Set up your day the night before. By influencing tomorrow today, you can help set the routine for making better decisions. Determination is about being focused. Decide tonight what you’ll eat for lunch tomorrow. Decide what route you’ll take to work, what time you’ll wake up, what you’ll wear and what your budget is for the month. Plan your day in advance, and you’ll find that it’s easier to focus on the tasks at hand and not get sidetracked by wasting time on unimportant things.
- Tackle Difficult Tasks First – Difficult decisions don’t get easier with procrastination. In fact, they usually just get worse. Instead of wasting energy worrying and fretting, tackle the difficult tasks first and get them out of the way. Your brain will better, and you’ll have more energy to conquer your day.
- Eliminate Distractions – Emergencies happen in real life. However, many situations can resolve themselves if given time. For example, if you have a friend that is always calling you with her own “emergencies” and sucking the life out of your soul, don’t respond right away. Sometimes being busy lets you put your life first and then your friend can start focusing on not wasting your time with trivial issues.
- Keep Your Energy Up – When your energy is fading, take a quick break to help regenerate. You’ll be more productive after your break. Whether your break involves taking a run, walk or stretching, come up with something that helps clear your mind and gives you the necessary fuel to finish the day. Additionally, opt for healthy foods and snack during the day instead of eating a large, heavy meal at lunch. Always drink lots of water and start a regular exercise routine to help boost your energy, decrease stress and rev up your immune system.
- Goals – Constantly remind yourself of your ultimate goals. Whether you create a visual board, make a mental movie you replay in your head or come up with another motivational factor to remind you what your goals are, always work towards accomplishing them.